Biography: About James Respess
James G. Respess is a SanDiego based artist and fine-art printer. His formal education comprised a broad humanities curriculum, including music, literature, art history, studio and plein-air drawing and painting and photography but with a principal academic focus in science leading to a PhD in Molecular Biology. He had 12 years experience as a surgical assistant, and as a biologist he was a founding scientist of Viagene, Inc., designing human gene therapy products. He has traveled extensively throughout the US, Europe, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean.
Since 1996, Jim has devoted full time to Fine Art Photography using traditional as well as digital composition techniques. His subject matter includes historic California settings, street photography and surrealistic compositions using digital imaging, alternative photographic processing techniques, painting, collage and mixed media.
Jim is the owner of Green Flash Photography, a business dedicated to the production of fine art photography and fine art reproduction (giclée) for artists and photographers since 1999.
- San Dieguito Art Guild: Board, Past President
- San Diego Museum of Art Artists’ Guild
- San Diego Photoshop User Group
- San Diego Art Institute
- La Jolla Art Association (Past Board Member)
- North County Photographic Society (Board Member; Digital Imaging Group Leader)
- Digital Imagination: Founder; digital art forum at the 101 Artists’ Colony
- Pacific Beach Art Guild (Founding Member)
- Digital Art Guild (Founding Board Member)
- Selected Exhibitions
- Del Mar Fair (seven years, including 1st Prize)
- All California Juried Exhibition 2000 (SD Museum of Art)
- 2001: Museum of Computer Art (2nd Grand Prize) International Competition
- 2002: Guru Awards, Best of Show, 1st in photoshop design; National Association of Photoshop Professionals Annual Meeting
- 2003: Produced and curated “Provocative Frames” exhibition (19 Artists) at the 101 Artists’ Colony
- 2004: MOCA International Exhibition, Cork Gallery, Lincoln Center, NYC (honorable mention).
- Co-produced “Escapes” exhibition (12 Artists) at Gallery 21, Balboa Park
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Molecular Biology
- M.A., San Francisco State University
- B.A., University of California, Santa Cruz